Pages

Wednesday 14 December 2011

Moodle 2.2: Coming to a Webserver Near You

Last week saw the release of Moodle 2.2, which actually wasn't a long time since we saw the release of version 2.1, and again wasn't long before we saw the release of the rather buggy version 2.0.  Me?  I'm still sat here on version 1.9.10 because of this rapid release cycle.


See, the problem is, during the year it is very difficult to suddenly make changes that users aren't used to and for that reason I usually do my system upgrades at the start or end of the academic year.  I hope for the sake of Moodle and its massive following is that this isn't a sign of things to come.  They really need to focus on quality at this point as once upon a time, I had originally planned to jump on the Moodle 2.0 bandwagon and am I glad that I didn't.  After I installed it on my test web server, I soon found that I had made the right decision.  Simple things didn't behave as expected and so I actively discouraged those who asked me about version 2.0 to not go ahead with the upgrade.

2.2 takes off where 2.1 finished and adds to many of the new features found in 2.0 onwards including many bug fixes.  In the release notes, Rubrics, external tools, common cartridge and Mymobile themes are all mentioned.  The notes also have a small mention about version 2.3 due in June 2012 and so I will most likely be hanging on for this release.

No comments:

Post a Comment